June 6, 2008

Baltic Fleet


What starts out like Elastica before morphing into Interpol by way of Joy Division?

It's not a trick question, and okay, I'm doing those annoying reductive comparisons again, but really, Baltic Fleet have to be heard to be believed.

And trust me, I'm not slighting the band in the least. Anything that starts out like Elastica before morphing into Interpol by way of Joy Division has me from the get-go.

When I say 'the band' I really mean Paul Fleming, keyboard player for Echo and The Bunnymen. Baltic Fleet is his baby.

He apparently wrote the album when he was on tour with the Bunnymen, trying to capture, in music, what inspired him in each city around the world.

While Baltic Fleet is a new discovery for me, a quick listen to the myspace page suggests to me that the band (ie, Fleming) is going to be huge.

He certainly deserves to be.

One of my favourite songs (out of an already incredibly strong line up) is "3 Dollar Dress".

It's hypnotic and savage -- a driving slice of indie rock heaven.

And what's more, it starts out like Elastica, before morphing into Interpol, by way of Joy Division...

Here's "3 Dollar Dress":



[Baltic Fleet - MySpace] [blow up records]

2 comments:

Beth said...

It's strange, but when I first listened to this song, I kinda hated it. But today, today it's just perfect!

Anonymous said...

See? You must always trust me...

Post a Comment