July 1, 2007

Tegan and Sara's new album -- called The Con, and not officially due out till July 24 -- was unceremoniously and messily leaked all over the internet nearly two months early.

(To veer off on a tangent for just a moment: I've never really understood how these leaks work -- is it someone from the inner circle? Is it a sound person? Is it a sales rep from the record label? Who else would have access to a newly minted album? Do Tegan and Sara all of a sudden look askance at their sound engineer, with hatred and suspicion in their eyes?)


This was Sara Quin's actual response to the album leak, posted on their MySpace page:


...we are sad that the album has already leaked. but there isn't much you can do these days to stop it! so, looking on the bright side, there's no excuse for anyone to not sing along to the new songs at the shows coming up.

...i hope that you will still pick up our album when it comes out. or buy it on itunes. OR do none of that, but still know every word to every song and clap above your head, even if you have to put your smoothie or beer or water on the sticky ground. (You can read the full post here).

And I loved her postscript:

i have downloaded leaked albums before. so i am not trying to seem like a creepy school teacher slapping your ears with a ruler. i swear.

Gracious, witty, insouciant -- and that's just the blog posts. Imagine how disarming they might be in person?

I rate this band. I really do. In fact, I probably have a 3,000 word post about Tegan and Sara floating around in me somewhere. But (lucky for you) now is not the time, nor the place.

Suffice it to say, I've heard the new album. (I've already written about how music addiction will drive one to occasional acts of criminal behaviour.)

I've heard it, and I loved it.

It's a grower, and those are, by far, my favourite kind of albums.

I'm not going to write anymore about it until the album proper comes out (at which time I'll buy the CD and the DVD), but the twins have already put up a teaser for their avid and restless fans.

And here's a couple of lesser-knowns from the vaults, because, well, why not?

1. We Didn't Do It
2. Trouble
3. Walking With a Ghost (Morgan Page Bootleg Remix)







0 comments:

Post a Comment